The Gardner School of Arts and Sciences is currently seeking a Business Manager with a passion for progressive education and the desire to lead and manage the school’s finance, accounting, and human resources function.
Overview of the Gardner School of Arts and Sciences
The Gardner School serves inquisitive, creative students from pre-K through 8th grade, who thrive in an idyllic setting in Clark County near the city of Vancouver, Washington. In an atmosphere of small classes, which provide individualized attention and a hands-on focus to learning, Gardner offers students an educational experience rooted in inquiry-based learning and a commitment to the Multiple Intelligences model. From its beginning in 1995, the School has been dedicated to a student body that reflects diversity in all its forms. The Gardner School’s enrollment for the 2017/18 school year is 122 students.
The Business Manager is accountable for the overall financial management of the school including; budgeting and financial analysis, banking and investing, financial and accounting operations, risk management and insurance. The Business Manager oversees human resource functions and ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. The Business Manager, with the Head of School, develops written policies and procedures for the employee handbook and parent handbooks. She/he helps maintain a respectful, positive and cooperative atmosphere, shares responsibility for the safety of all community members, and cooperates in the administration of Gardner school policies and procedures. The Business Manager also collaborates with the staff employees to ensure efficient office operations, and excellent customer service in the spirit of Gardner’s Mission and Vision and Values.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
Budgeting and Finance
- Review and analyze financial statements and prepare relevant reports for Finance Committee and Board review.
- Produce annual budget to align with school’s mission and goals in cooperation with the Head of School and Finance Committee.
- Create strategic financial plan with Finance Committee to ensure the long-term health and sustainability of the school.
- Participate in the development of school strategy, providing recommendations, financial analysis, projections, and other data to inform the process.
- Manage, evaluate and restructure bank accounts as necessary, ensuring adequate cash flow, and monitoring investments.
- Oversee school business functions, including tuition and billing collection, accounts payable, financial aid, vendor contracts, payroll, accounting and reporting, regulatory reporting and compliance and other business administration activities.
- Monitor internal controls and safeguard confidential information.
- Work with the school’s tuition management software, review tuition reports and delinquency reports, notify and work with delinquent families to bring accounts current.
- Interface with CPA, Board of Directors, Finance Committee members and Head of School on accounting and finance related items; coordinate annual tax filing with CPA.
- Participate on the Financial Aid Committee; ensure that awards are in alignment with Gardner’s overall vision and in accordance with established standards and policies, and develop and distribute financial aid materials.
Insurance and Risk Management
- Maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and cover the liability of the school.
- Ensure that the Illness and Injury Prevention program is communicated to employees and conforms to current health and safety legislation.
- Ensure mandatory training is provided to employees.
- Manage and oversee human resource functions.
- Oversee employment agreements, compensation and benefits administration, including medical, dental and 403B.
- Coordinate with the Head of School to develop effective hiring strategies, place recruitment ads, coordinate interviews and sit on hiring committee.
- Create, review and revise job descriptions. Oversee hiring process including offer letters, background checks, and completion of required employment forms.
- Process payroll on a semi-monthly basis and ensure that state and federal payroll reports are filed.
- Maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Oversee termination procedures and respond to unemployment claims.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal labor laws, IRS, and INS regulations.
- Review and revise Employee Handbook annually or as needed.
- Associates degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a financial, accounting or business management role.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a 5-year period; attention to detail and big picture.
- Strong computer skills including above average competency in MS Office.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and organizational skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to independently drive projects.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize while juggling competing demands.
Qualities of a Successful Candidate:
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills with audiences internal and external to the School, which reflect a wide variety of people in a wide variety of situations
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with well-developed emotional intelligence
- Financial acumen related to school finance, bookkeeping, and budgeting
- Intellectual curiosity and evidence of relevant academic and work-related success
- A demonstrated commitment to multiculturalism and diversity
- Appreciation of children, their process of learning and development, and the community who supports them
Start Date: We anticipate making an appointment in the fall of 2017.
To Apply: The Gardner School offers competitive wages and benefits. This position is preferred full-time, but is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Qualified individuals should apply via email to email@example.com. Please include a cover letter and resume, and at least 4 relevant job-related references.
Application deadline: Open until filled.